Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Lunchbox

The basis for any solid personal connection is communication. Everyone knows that. Without it, marriages can fail and friendships falter.

That is a vital part of Ritesh Batra's The Lunchbox. Focusing on a lonely housewife and a soon-to-be-retired widower, the film shows how a small mistake can lead to something potent. (It's something you don't usually see very often in most films.)

Now I'm not that well-versed when it comes to Indian films (a blight amongst my film watching), though I am aware of what they're like. (That is, those outside of the standard Bollywood films.) I know they tend to be melodramas but The Lunchbox is a much quieter film.

In a way, The Lunchbox is sort of like an Indian In the Mood for Love. How so? It doesn't rely on gratuitous sex scenes or repeated utterances of the word "love" to get its point across. All the film needs is solid interactions between its actors.

The Lunchbox is a very charming film. Batra weaves a beautiful story about connecting with others. Sometimes a small mistake doesn't always lead to a bad outcome.

My Rating: *****

1 comment:

  1. Oh I'm so glad you liked this. It's definitely not like any Indian movie I have seen in a long, long time. I absolutely loved it to bits.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.