Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Blue is the Warmest Color

Behind every great film, there's controversy. In the case of Abdellatif Kechiche's Blue is the Warmest Color, it was the behind the scenes drama between Kechiche and stars Adele Exarchopoulos and Lea Seydoux in regards with the equally controversial sex scenes. Overlooking these uproars, there is so much more to the film.

Blue is the Warmest Color revolves around confused teenager Adele (Exarchopoulos) as she tries to get control on her personal life. When she meets artist Emma (Seydoux) she thinks her life is now in order. (Note the word "thinks".) But does she really?

As with any other film revolving around a relationship, it all depends on the dynamic between the two lovers. It's not just about those scenes (which, save for one, feel rather unnecessary) but rather the emotional bond formed between them. And thanks to Exarchopoulos and Seydoux, they bring the love affair between Adele and Emma to life.

Speaking of the two leading ladies, they're quite simply fantastic here. Seydoux displays both an aggressive and quiet side in her Emma. But it's Exarchopoulos that's the star of Blue is the Warmest Color. So many shots linger on Adele's conflicted face and they speak volumes.

Blue is the Warmest Color is one of those films where the subject matter is annoyingly undermined because the controversy it managed to stir up. (Brokeback Mountain, anyone?) Thankfully, there have been a majority of viewers who saw past the uproars and recognized what the film truly is: a portrait of conflicted love.

My Rating: ****1/2

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm still bummed that my theater got rid of this after a week. I hope I can see it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really cannot wait to see this one. The run time seems a bit too much, but hopefully the film will pull me in enough so I won't notice it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exarchopoulos is definitely the star of the film, and she simply floored me. I loved the movie, but I loved her more. A great film.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.