Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Mixtape Movies #6

Okay, last entry! I will conquer you like I did with the last five posts. Let's do this! (Whoa, don't know where that came from. Sorry about that.)

Anyway, the final mixtape will be about "Carnal Desires". Yesterday's list was about dead or dying relationships; this one's about those basically kept together by lust. The list starts after the jump. (And if you're wondering, no, the images provided won't be explicit.)


Pandora's Box (Pabst, 1929)

What better way to start off this list than with a film that caused an uproar upon its release? (Expect that to be a running theme throughout.) Lulu knows what kind of effect her prowess has on people. Does she mind that they're drooling in her wake? Not particularly.

Lolita (Kubrick, 1962)
Do you honestly think that the wide-eyed Dolores Haze, the object of Humbert Humbert's perverse desires, was just this innocent child? I certainly don't view it this way.

In the Realm of the Senses (Oshima, 1976)
The fact this is still garnering controversy after all these years certainly says a lot, doesn't it? (Then again, the leading lady is performing actual fellatio on the leading man in one scene.)

Y Tu Mama Tambien (Cuaron, 2001)
This film's more of a mix between teenage urges and sexual revenge but the balance between them is something I think only Cuaron could pull off.

The Dreamers (Bertolucci, 2003)
Like what he did with Last Tango in Paris thirty-one years earlier (a film that was amongst my shortlist), Bertolucci makes a fantastic film which revolves not strictly on sex but also on the emotional bonds (if I could call them that) formed between the lovers.

And the wildcard is...
Little Children (Field, 2006)
I chose this because although the scenes of intimacy between Brad and Sarah are, well, carnal, they want something else even more than sex: an emotional connection, something their own spouses can't provide for them.

Well, that concludes these amusing contributions for Andy. I hope you enjoyed them.

8 comments:

  1. Great picks! I love that you included The Dreamers and Little Children. Both fantastic films.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never seen Little Children, I must check it out. Nice choices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saved the best for last. This is my favourite of your mixtape’s. I haven’t seen In the Realm of the Senses but love all your other selections.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! Pandora's Box is huge blind spot for me, so I need to check it out. I haven't seen In the Realm of the Senses yet either.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.