Sunday, March 3, 2013

Why Movies?

Last night, I griped on Twitter about trying to think of a post idea for the following day. Ryan over at The Matinee send me this a few hours after that tweet:
Blog post idea: For you, why movies? Why not books, music, art? What elevates film above all else?
My response:
I think it's because movies are an easier escape from reality for me.
His response:
So next time you're looking for an idea, write about that feeling of escape.
Ryan definitely got me thinking. Why do I like movies so much? Granted, I gave my own reason, but I knew there was something else behind it all.

I thought it might have something to do with my own rather dull life. Stuck in the middle of nowhere, no job, no driver's license, no social life...I needed something to cure my boredom. Movies just seemed like the go-to answer to that problem.

But where's the escape in it all? Simple: to see the visionary minds of others. Seeing directors whose works can range from playing it safe to taking risks is something I always like. Seeing the stories they tell is a complete far cry from the monotonous life I lead.

Basically what I'm saying is if it wasn't for movies, I would feel as though my life is meaningless. I hope in several years' time, my name will be projected on the silver screen. It sounds like a cliche, I know, but I genuinely would like that to happen.

We all have stories to tell. I want to tell mine.

7 comments:

  1. I hope you get to tell your story, same as I want to tell mine. Plus I liked the "to see the visionary minds of others", I always try to think of how to put my interest in films, but your description did it perfectly.

    P.S. I'm thinking of starting my own film-based blog, any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :)

      As for blog tips, start off simple. List a few of your favorite films/actors/directors.

      Delete
  2. I understand completely. Movies have become, for better or for worse, my life. I can't imagine being without them. Reality bores me to no extent and I can sometimes relate to films and their characters better than I do to my own surroundings and people I meet. It's depressing but it's true.
    I wish to see my name too. I need to.

    Lovely post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really interesting post - why movies indeed?
    Personally, it's not that I'm dreaming of seeing my name on the big screen. I do like acting and I would like to be famous I guess, but I wouldn't like all the people following every step I do and not being able to live a normal life.
    I just get excited every time I see my name in print and I'm currently dreaming of becoming a real good journalist. That dream might change over time though.
    But still, why movies? I really don't know. I love reading just as much, and I am interested in music... but movies are just something else. And I'm not going to pretend I know what makes them special ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hope you'll achieve that dream of yours too.

      Delete
  4. That's beautiful. I love music and books almost as much as I love films. But movies I feel combine the two. A story is told and music accompanies it. And the visuals are materialized on the screen and not only in your mind. Which is why book to film adaptations always receive so much attention because people want to see if the director's vision matches their own.
    I too want to see my name on the big screen. I want to be an actor. So I understand you completely, your need to escape and create an escape for others. I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a lovely response. I wish you all the best as well.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.