Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Before Sunset

Sequels always seem unnecessary. They're only made strictly because the studios are greedy. Very rarely are they made because the director and stars want to continue the story.

The latter situation was fortunately the case when Richard Linklater, Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy made Before Sunset, their follow-up for Before Sunrise. Set nine years after the previous film's events, this film chronicles the possibility of Jesse (Hawke) and Celine (Delpy) getting together.

The mood here is definitely different from Before Sunrise. After all, they're meeting each other by chance after nine years of no communication. Naturally their conversations start on a somewhat uncomfortable note. But it's even after that you can tell it won't be easy for either Jesse or Celine.

Also, their physical interactions are much more different. In Before Sunrise, they're quite comfortable with kissing having only known each other for several hours. Here, they keep their distance. (Makes sense actually; Jesse's now married with a kid while Celine's seeing someone.) Still, I think this makes their bond strengthen. (Absence makes the heart grow fonder, after all.)

This is one of those few times where I like the sequel more than the original film. I simply found it more engaging that Before Sunrise, even though I love both films. Now I understand why so many people love these films.

My Rating: *****

2 comments:

  1. As I said, I had watched this before Before Sunrise, and it was one of those random "what's coming on TV" viewings that ended up changing my life. I love this film. It is absolutely goddamn amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. must confess I have yet to watch either one of these films. However, lately, I have been reading about them a lot. Going to have to add them to my every growing list of films I need to check out.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.