Saturday, December 17, 2011

Camille

I always manage to neglect watching certain actors. A poor excuse, I know, but I can't help it. There are too many out there I want to discover.

One of the more glaring entries until now was Greta Garbo. I wanted to that mysterious allure of hers in action, but I kept putting it off. Was it because I couldn't find an appropriate film to watch her in that best shows her allure? Or was it because I just couldn't handle the beauty she possessed? It's one or the other, and I have no idea as to which.

Another actor I unintentionally shirked off from watching was Robert Taylor. Knowing him mainly as Barbara Stanwyck's ex-husband, I read several comments on him that he had a certain charm to him. As with the case for other actors, I had a feeling that Taylor's looks and charm would go together hand in hand.

I finally saw both of them in action in the form of George Cukor's Camille. To my surprise, the personalities of Garbo and Taylor work wonderfully. Garbo's passion for the high life and Taylor's passion for her compliment each other. (In a way, they reminded me of Holly and Paul in Breakfast at Tiffany's.)

Camille is probably one of the few love stories that doesn't feel contrived. It could told even by today's rules, and it could still work. (Like I said, it reminded me of Breakfast at Tiffany's.) The costumes designed by Adrian are absolutely gorgeous, as with the work from Garbo and Taylor. I won't say anything else about Camille for I want others to watch it.

My Rating: *****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.