Friday, September 30, 2011

The King of Comedy

There's no denying that Robert De Niro and Martin Scorsese is one of the great film collaborations. After all, most of their movies land on many "greatest ever" lists.

One title that doesn't show up as much as it should is The King of Comedy. Why that is, I don't know. Perhaps it's too dark. Perhaps it was ahead of its time. Either way, it's not a movie to be avoided.

The three main actors play their parts excellently. De Niro's Rupert Pupkin is a bit like Travis Bickle and Jake La Motta in the sense that they'll act out without thinking through. Jerry Lewis, completely against type as fame weary Jerry Langford, is revelatory in his performance. He shows a darker side to fame. (Pay attention to when Rupert breaks into his home.) And Sandra Bernhard as Masha makes John Hinckley, Jr. look legally sane. (Just saying.)

The King of Comedy has to be, without a doubt, one of Scorsese's best. It may be too dark for some, but I really liked it. Just because this is underrated doesn't mean it should be overlooked.

My Rating: *****

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was a great film, but I felt really depressed by it. I mean, those scenes where Pupkin pretends he's famous and all that? Isn't it just a little sad? That's the one issue I had with it, but other than that it's quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this movie. I must...I've already gone over two of the fantasy scenes in it...with one to go.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.