Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Why I Like the Classics

As you might have noticed, I have taken more of an interest to classic film than recent movies. I have a good explanation for that.

So many remakes are in production/being released, so I'm curious on what the originals are like. Safe to say I prefer the originals.

Today's movies also seems so trite, you have to go back a few decades to find something new. Believe me, all of today's action movies and romantic comedies have the same overused formula.

Another reason is the actors from that time. They weren't cast in a movie for their build or appearance; they were cast to act, unfortunately a factor of casting not used enough today. Don't get me wrong. There are great actors working today. It's just the best actors and actresses that graced the silver screen were from the Golden Age.

Now mind you, I'm not berating today's movies. Again, I like the classics more.

4 comments:

  1. I think I get what you mean :). But I just can't watch classics all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's my take: Movies today are obtuse. They take a long time to get to the point, but hide the message in obfuscation. The classics, and old movies in general, hid the message in entertainment. Classics are not timid, or afraid of being "found out." And as budgets were tight and made in a factory-like setting, they were efficient. Dialogue snapped, made its point and moved on, rather than danced around a subject (I kinda blame Kubrick for this). Plus, the "old guard" who made movies lived life, not movies. That brought a broad perspective to their work, rather than regurgitation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Out of every film released annually I usually enjoy a couple and they are usually Indie films. The last two that I saw and truly enjoyed were "Barney's Version" and then "The Ghost Writer" which was directed by Roman Polanski and it had a very Hitchcockesque feel to it.

    I haven't totally given up on Hollywood but there certainly is a lot of fluff that you have to wade through to find a real gem these days.

    I usually read Ebert's reviews and he's always spot on with what not to miss, however obscure the film.
    Page

    ReplyDelete
  4. You shouldn't focus your attention on modern movies then. It seems to me that you started reviewing newer ones only because many people said that your blog is classic. Don't think about it. Just watch what you want!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.