Friday, June 3, 2011

Miller's Crossing

The gangster movie was popular back in the 1930's when real gangsters were showing who's the boss. Bonnie and Clyde and The Godfather aside, the genre started to die out. But recently, the genre came back alive and kicking.

Now I have seen only a few movies made by the Coen brothers. (All I got are Raising Arizona, O Brother, Where Art Thou? and Fargo.) But I managed to get a sense on what Joel and Ethan were trying to accomplish in their movies. One of them was using violence gratuitously.

Anyway, Miller's Crossing I liked for its simplicity of things. The dialogue, the violence, everything. And this is from the duo responsible for the bloodfest that is Fargo.

Miller's Crossing is one of the more unconventional gangster movies I've seen. It doesn't rely on blood and bullets, just the conscience of the lead character. That, in my opinion, I like very much.

My Rating: ****1/2

3 comments:

  1. I really love this film. Gabriel Byrne's character is just so cool. Whip-smart dialogue. One of my favourite Coens' films along with Fargo, Lebowski and No Country for Old Men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen it in so long but I just remember this not doing much for me, but one of these days I need to get back into it. Good Review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.