Thursday, June 30, 2011

Counterfeit Casting: Stanley Kubrick

Let's try a director this time. I'm surprised no one has thought that this would be a good biopic. Who could play the perfectionist genius that was Stanley Kubrick?

CANDIDATE #1: Michael Shannon
YES
Shannon has always grabbed the viewer's attention when he's on screen. Kubrick had the same effect when his name showed up during the opening credits. Plus, Shannon's quite experienced at playing the freethinker, which is what Kubrick was.
NO
I can't think of anything.

CANDIDATE #2: Paul Giamatti
YES
Giamatti's been slowly rising among the ranks of the best of the best. Perhaps a role like this would give him a boost?
NO
I'm not sure if Giamatti can play someone as tyrannical as Kubrick.

CANDIDATE #3: Robert Downey, Jr.
YES
Downey has already portrayed a prominent director before in Chaplin. Could you imagine if he played the mad genius director? I'd love to see it happen.
NO
That being said, however, I can't entirely see him right for the role. Like Giamatti, I'm not sure if Downey can play such a figure as Kubrick.

Who would cast as Stanley Kubrick? (And, yes, I'm aware that Stanley Tucci played him before.)

7 comments:

  1. I like the idea of Giamatti as Kubrick. Bloody hell, his voice is exactly how I imagine Kubrick's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psst... If you're a fan of Kubrick you might want to listen to the new episode of the Film Locker this weekend

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giamatti, actually...After seeing him in The Illusionist, I thought he had the Kubrick stare "down." Also, the first commenter is right--he has Kubrick's voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Michael Shannon is a good choice. Robert Downey Jr is too good looking to play Kubrick. (As horrible as that sounds) I could see someone like Joaquin Phoenix playing him as well. Pre-crazy Joaquinn Phoenix, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael Sannon seems like a perfect choice. Great idea Anna! Then, also Downey Jr. but exactly the fact he played Chaplin makes me say "yes" in favor of the former.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Downey Jr I think can do it the right way, we cannot underestimate his capability of living the characters rather than playing them.
    Paul Giamatti would be great to see him playing a lead in an epic,its time he gets his due.
    Sorry just out of box, I think Leonardo Di Caprio can pull this one off too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.