Thursday, June 16, 2011

Blue Velvet

Alfred Hitchcock was dubbed "the Master of Suspense". I call David Lynch "the Master of Mindfuckery".

I mean, Mulholland Drive is a weird movie, but the weirdest in Lynch's line of work has to be his magnum opus Blue Velvet. For Pete's sake, it starts off with the lead character finding a severed ear. That aside, Blue Velvet is excellent as a neo-noir.

The highlight performances come from Isabella Rossellini and Dennis Hopper. Rossellini is the right embodiment of the battered woman while Hopper is right embodiment of demented evil. Seriously, Hopper's depiction of the foul-mouthed, gas-inhaling Frank Booth has to be one of the most horrifying performances I've seen. How both Rossellini and Hopper were ignored for nominations, I'll never know.

Bizarre as it may be, Blue Velvet is perhaps one of the best movies made in the last thirty years. About, say, half of it is hard to watch for its brutality, but it's a very absorbing movie at the same time.

My Rating: *****

3 comments:

  1. I liked this film because it really toys with your mind and you don't know what's going to happen next, simply because it's so crazy and weird. However, that's what kept me entertained the whole time really. Good Review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear a lot about Blue Velvet but I've never got around to watching it, might have to try and seek it out this weekend.


    Shine a Light Cinematography

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Blue Velvet (I mean I love all of Lynch's work, minus Wild at Heart and Fire Walk with me, which I still have yet to see.)

    Glad that you really liked the film, though.

    I'd say Lost Highway and INLAND EMPIRE are far more weird than Blue Velvet. But BV is a weird one, (and that's why I love Lynch so much.)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.