Friday, August 20, 2010

Mulholland Drive

The only thing I knew about David Lynch is that he directs movies that are really out there. And Mulholland Drive is no exception.

After a brutal car accident in Los Angeles, Rita (Laura Herring) is the sole survivor but suffers mass amnesia. Wandering into a stranger's apartment downtown, her story strangely intertwines with Betty Elms (Naomi Watts), a perky young woman in search of stardom. However, Betty is intrigued by Rita's situation and is willing to put aside her dreams to pursue this mystery. The two women soon discover that nothing is as it seems in the city of dreams.

Holy crap, that was one weird movie. If it's your first time watching it, don't be upset if you don't understand (I sure as hell didn't). It's definitely one of those movies you need to watch a few times to actually get it. Apart from Mulholland Drive being the weirdest thing I've ever watched, it's also a really good film noir. Oh, and also the biggest case of mindfuck EVER. Don't say I didn't warn you.

My Rating: ****1/2

5 comments:

  1. Hell yes!

    This might be one of the trickiest, yet most rewarding films of the last decade...and one that probably took me the longest to fully get (and I still don't completely).

    I covered this for my Back to Basics series back in March if you're interested in reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohooo! Glad you loved it Anna. My favorite movie of last decade :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hated this movie the first time I saw it, but on repeat viewings I came to really appreciate it, if not love it (there are a few moments that still seem pretty ridiculous). The best thing about it is how Lynch captures the feeling of a nightmare so well

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one just plays with your mind for so long, and in all honesty it doesn't quite make sense. But that's the whole fun of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great film, i watched it the other day for the first time and have just reviewed it myself. The atmosphere's incredible and some of the individual scenes (eg. cowboy/club silencio) are right up there with the best i've seen.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.