Thursday, March 18, 2010

Cool Hand Luke

Ever since his death back in 2008, I've taken an interest in the work of Paul Newman. Just last year, I saw five of his movies. Those movies were Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Verdict, Road to Perdition, The Hustler and Cool Hand Luke, the latter I'll be reviewing.

After getting arrested for cutting off parking meter heads, Luke Jackson (Newman) is sent to a Florida work camp. Despite the many attempts by the sadistic Captain (Strother Martin), Luke's rebellious spirit can't be broken, which wins him respect from the other prisoners.

There's something about seeing Newman playing a rebel that's both great and attractive. This is personally my favorite performance from Newman. I just love it.

My Rating: *****

2 comments:

  1. I just love the Natural Born World Shaker line, it just bites at my sense it's such an awesome line!

    I also love this movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you've discovered Newman, definitely see THE TOWERING INFERNO. He and Steve McQueen, who shared top billing, were the biggest stars at that time and it was the must-see movie when it was released in Dec. 1974. Yeah, I saw it when I was 8.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.