Sunday, January 3, 2010

Once Upon a Time in the West

If you were to ask me what kind of movies I like, I would respond I like guy movies. Y'know, movies that feature a crapload of violence/explosions and swearing (i.e., The Godfather). I'm not into wimpy "chick flicks". Ugh, the mere mention of the term makes me sick. Anyway, I'll get to the point later on in the review.

Jill McBain (Claudia Cardinale) returns from New Orleans to find her family dead. Her family's killer is Frank (Henry Fonda), a hired gun of railroad tycoon Morton (Gabriele Ferzetti). The crime was blamed on outlaw Cheyenne (Jason Robards), who agrees to help Jill find Frank. Along with Cheyenne, a mysterious gunman Cheyenne nicknamed "Harmonica" (Charles Bronson) help protect Jill's land from Frank.

Man, oh man, oh man. What to say about this movie? I mean, apart from the fact that it kicked SERIOUS ASS. But honestly, let's be serious. I found Fonda's work in this very good. Good nothing, he was DAMN good, and this is an actor who made a name for himself playing the good guy. A shame he didn't play the villian more in his career. As for Leone, he sure as hell knows how to deliver a fine Western.

Oh yeah, the chick flick explaination. Personally I'd rather see a guy getting his guts shot out of him than see a weak story involving the girl next door falling in love with the popular guy. Wait, I pretty much described almost every chick flick ever made, didn't I?

My Rating: *****

2 comments:

  1. I just reposted my review of another Leone epic western. The guy had a talent for them, but Leone's The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly stole my cinematic heart in more ways than one. It and Seven Samurai are so far ahead of all other films in my love category, I might as well have separated them via paragraphs in my top 100.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my all time favourites. The opening scene (where Harmonica arrives on the train) is an absolute masterclass in direction. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.