Tuesday, September 22, 2009

What are your favorite movie scenes?

I have a very limited selection:

~The taxi cab scene in On the Waterfront. That scene shows very clearly how Marlon Brando got an Oscar for that movie.

~The New Year's scene in The Godfather Part II. Just thinking about it sends chills down my back.

~Shark shows up in Jaws. Anybody that's seen that scene probably vowed never to go swimming at the beach again. EVER.

~The "mad as hell" speech in Network. Just watch that scene and you'll see how Peter Finch got that posthumous Oscar.

~Bluto smashing the guitar in Animal House. The fact that he apologizes makes it even funnier.

~The opening scene of Manhattan. The images are just beautiful.

Those are mine. What are yours?

3 comments:

  1. All great scenes. If I had to throw a couple in there off the top of my head it would be:

    The march of the wounded in Branagh's Henry V. An amazing long single shot with a great song, and all encompassing view of the battle.

    The escape from the sewers in Shawshank Redemption. Just amazingly emotional scene, you really feel for the character.

    There's about a million scenes I'm forgetting right now :S

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too hard to say...so I will just choose from this century and even that's hard
    Atonement - Robbie writes the letter as Cecilia dresses and La Boheime plays

    The Departed - Queenan's death

    The Lord of the Rings every scene but especially the first ten minutes

    The Hours - Virginia's final confrontation with Vanessa.

    Corpse Bride - Meeting the Bride

    I promised myself I'd stop at five so I'll stop at five because if I don't I'll continue and we'll be here all week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very tough... there are many movie scenes that are my favorite. One that comes to mind is the Joker's pencil trick and introduction scene to the mob in 'The Dark Knight.' From the first rumors that I had heard of Heath Ledger playing the Joker and my uncertainty in the notion, those few moments alone were enough for me to confirm that Heath's Joker is the most satisfyingly refreshing and entertaining psychopathic villain in contemporary cinema. But that's just what comes to my head as of this moment. :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.